Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Pre-departure to Berlin

As many of you know I am taking a little "vacation" to Berlin.  It's a study abroad trip coordinated through our International Programs office at UNCP, and faculty led by my advisor.  Yes, I just graduated a few days ago, I actually reenrolled in school as enrichment seeking to take this trip.

I absolutely love going abroad!  I go as often as I can (many thanks to my parents for supporting my passion for travel).  Since I was young I have had a fascination with the world, other cultures, and learning about people.  I have been to fourteen countries outside of the US.  Some of these were day trips or stops, and some longer stays.  Many of my close friends are from other countries.  People used to ask me why I was so drawn to these people.  I would tell them that my major was international relations, I was simply supplementing my education.

I have been to Germany, Frankfurt specifically, but it was ten years ago.  All I really remember was driving through a black forest and buying a cuckoo clock.  Normally I don't like going a place I've already been since there is so much to see in the world; however, this is completely different since I've never been to Berlin and I am at an age to experience it in a completely different way.  I am absolutely ecstatic to head back to Europe!

The past two days we have had class on campus to prepare us for leaving.  We have discussed culture, society, food, norms, greetings, history, and some crash course German.  I realized Monday sitting in class my international suitcase is at my parent's house.  My parents were just here for graduation and brought my converter set, but I completely forgot about my suitcase.  Thankfully I have amazing sorority sisters who are my lifesavers most days of the week, so I have borrowed a suitcase from Amber.

A few weeks ago Dr. Freeman asked me what I am most looking forward to about our trip.  Well, it's hard for me to pinpoint one thing because we are doing so many things, but the one thing I absolutely must do is rent a bicycle and ride around the city.  I am also thoroughly looking forward to eating new food.  I love food!  Love is kind of an understatement actually.  I love to cook, I love trying new food, new flavors, things I would not find in the US.  I'm actually not big on red meat, I have named myself a "poultratarian" because I only really eat poultry; but I am open to trying new things in another culture to fully understand their way of life.  To my understanding so far Germany has a lot of "meat and potatoes" kinds of food, so I will be eating a lot of red meat.  One girl going is a vegetarian, so I plan on trying a place with her also.  I'm also not much of a beer drinker, but you can't go to Germany without trying the beer so I'll give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment