Saturday, November 16, 2013

Diwali

The other night I had plans to go out with some of my classmates.  We were meeting at the left lion on the Square at 7 and would decide where to go to dinner from there.  I put on a smart outfit - appropriate for dinner, but dressy enough to go out afterwards.  I bought the most amazing oxford-style heels from Debenhams and have been dying to wear them wherever I can.

So I headed out to the Square to meet every one and as I came upon it there were tents and lights and crowds of people.  The smell of curry filled the Square and reminded me how hungry I was. And there were men playing music and people dancing.



Turns out it was the Diwali celebration.  Diwali is the Hindu festival of lights.  Lamps, called diyas, are lit to welcome Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth, into the homes.  Apparently depending on the region different Hindus celebrate Diwali for different reasons or gods, but the basis is "The festival celebrates the victory of good over evil, light over darkness and knowledge over ignorance."




We didn't stay long since we were just waiting on the Square for every one to show up.  But while we waited I watched and admired the festival.  There is always something going here and I love it!  It's also fascinating to see things like this since the town I grew up in doesn't have many ethnic activities like this.

I got my information on the celebration from BBC

No comments:

Post a Comment